Trapezitsa Hill is the second fortress of the inner city. Located on the right bank of the Yantra River, northwest of Tsarevets. This hill is also like a natural fortress, surrounded on three sides by a river. In the past on the steep cliffs rise high walls and towers. Two cross-fortress walls are descended the slopes of the hill – one in the east, near the church „St. Dimitar“ and the other – in the western slope of the current towards the railway bridge. The fort has four entrances. The main entrance of Trapezitsa is located on the south side and was associated with Tsarevets by bridge over the Yantra River opposite the church „St. 40 Martyrs“. At this input is leading stone path hewn out of rock and reaching the south gate, traces of which have been preserved ever since. There are two hypothesis about the name of Trapezitsa .According to the first one the name is associated with the word „table“ and the second says it comes from „trapezoid“ as the plateau is trapezoidal. During excavations in 1884 and 1900 discovered the foundations of 17 churches. With scarce fragments retained on the walls, it appears to have been richly decorated with frescoes and mosaics, and their floors were covered with beautiful tiles. Found materials are not published and therefore have remained unknown to science and history of the city, but the preserved files relating to these excavations show that there were discovered „old crosses, necklaces, coins, rings, earrings, pottery and other remains which can be seen that the old local time. “ Trapezitsa churches were decorated with a variety of architectural forms: pilasters, niches, blind arches, colorful tiles and clay colored round or four-plates in green or yellow, arranged in one or more curved lines. The largest is the church number 8, known as „Ivan Rilski“. Next to it there are traces of other old buildings which are supposed to be a monastery. The walls of the church are traces of frescoes. It is known that in 1195 Assen I moved from Sredets (Sofia) in Veliko Tarnovo relics of St. Ivan Rilski, that were placed in a church which was specially built for them in Trapezitsa . The room of the south part of the church number 8 is considered as a reliquary. The relics were stored in Veliko Tarnovo in 1469, when they were moved to the Rila Monastery. Numerous small and well decorated churches in Trapezitsa testify that there were housing the noble bolyars and the senior clerics.